[OM] Longer exposures with T10 and OM-2s

Subject: [OM] Longer exposures with T10 and OM-2s
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:55:19 -0300
Well I'm somewhat excited and somewhat dreading getting back the results
from the roll of Provia I shot today.

I'm excited because I think I should have some good macro shots on there and
I'm looking forward to seeing the results. My concerns are related to my use
of the T10 flash. I hadn't tried using it on my OM-2s before (does owning OM
gear for roughly 2 years and never using it make me a better or worse
Zuikoholic?) so I'm probably off on the way it's supposed to be used.

As I mentioned on the list before, I don't have any calculator panels for my
T-Power control. Numerous list members said that the auto panel just shifts
the slider over to the fully manual position. From that information, I'm
guessing that that's with the slider over to the far left as it looks like
the calculator panel would slide on right to left. This is the position I
had the slider in.

I set the OM-2s to auto and adjusted the aperture to what I wanted (mostly
f/32 because of the high magnification I was using). Well into the roll, I
noticed that the under exposure indicator was blinking after the shot. I
didn't notice this before because I was using the self timer and a cable
release to keep vibrations down so I wasn't looking through the viewfinder
while I was taking the picture (in many of the shots I had the centre column
reversed on my tripod so it wasn't exactly easy to look through the
viewfinder). I opened up the aperture and was able to get the correct
exposure indicator for my remaining shots on the roll.

In retrospect though, I realised that it sounded like it was always using
1/60 for the shutter speed, never anything slower. I'm guessing this is the
problem because most of my shots were done at f/32 with my Vivitar 2x macro
focusing teleconverter (so that's an effective f/64) with the full focusing
extension on both the converter and the lens (so probably further light loss
there). With that little an ammount of light, I would need a longer shutter
speed even with the flash but I don't think it was choosing one. Will the
OM-2s only run the flash at 1/60 (this seems very limited)? If not, is there
something I'm missing in order to make it use a slower shutter speed?

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx