Re: [OM] 4/3rds, 16Megapixels?

Subject: Re: [OM] 4/3rds, 16Megapixels?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:27:04 -0400
Andrew and Tom have apparenently misintepreted the 4/3 in the Olydak "4/3 system" as 4/3" (inch) and as meaning the size of the diagonal of the sensor.

In the 4/3 system, 4/3 is the aspect ratio of the sensor, ie; ratio of width and height. The actual sensor size has been announced to be 18 x 13.5 mm (rounded to the nearest 1/10 mm)

A week or two ago I posted a note on the size of the 4/3 system sensor vs. the E-20 sensor at 8.8 x 6.6 mm. If you work out the respective areas you'll see that the 4/3 sensor, at the same density as the 5 megapixel E-20, would yield a sensor with 4.18 times as many pixels or almost 21 megapixels.

Last October Kodak was showing a 5 megapixel 4/3 sensor. But Oly has spoken of resolution equalling or exceeding 35mm film and I don't think 5 megapixels is enough for that. I submitted my guess that it would actually be 9 megapixels. Anyhow, the announcement is scheduled for June 24 so we'll all know pretty soon. Do I win a prize if I'm right?

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA.