Re: [OM] Frustrations of the Web for image display

Subject: Re: [OM] Frustrations of the Web for image display
From: BA <ande@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 09:43:12 -0700
On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 00:56:34 -0700, you wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 19:17:33 -0700, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the thoughtful replies  :-)  Further nattering below.
>>
>> Siddiq wrote:
>>
>>> if you have the bandwidth and space, have two versions, a broadband and
>>> a dialup--the former can have 1024*768 or 1152*864 images with minimal
>>> compression, the latter can top out at 640*480 and doubledigit kb
>>> filesize. surely one of you compuwhizzes can whip up a script to do
>>> something like that. the dialup version would also use simple table
>>> navigation, while broadband can do j/s rollovers etc.
>>
>> That's a good idea to explore, although anything I do will be simple
>> unless someone else has a something to do it fancy. At the moment, I have
>> simply modified a default Photoshop template, by trial and error, rather
>> than real knowledge of what I am doing, and used PS to generate the HTML,
>> etc. There are areas of programming in which I am quite adept, but HTML.
>> let alone Javascript, are not among them. It's all too much like
>> assembler and some early DOS forms creation software and I have no urge
>> to go back there. Taking pictures, napping, reading a good book and many
>> other things appeal to me more than down and dirty, line by line
>> programming and learning new languages to do it in.
>

>the flashy stuff was a suggestion, as some image websites i've visited use
>them and it makes for a nice system, the nav tabs are hidden till you mouse
>over the thing, sorta like the tab on Mac OS X, everything is hidden but
>the tab, mouse over and the list of apps comes up. you can just use the
>same html template, and make one dialup page, and one broadband page.

The flashy stuff is nice, but the problem with it is that it adds bits
to a page, which makes it even slower to download for those at the end
of rusty wires, and it's more likely to break than plain 'ol HTML.
Bandwidth is an issue for the audience of a page as well as the
author.

If you want a template, you might find a site you like and see whether
you can use "view source" in your browser to get the HTML.  Or give me
the URL and I'll see if I can find HTML source or else generate some
(I'm a geekgrrl by trade, though I only know web authoring as an
informed amateur.)