Re: [OM] Frustrations of the Web for image display

Subject: Re: [OM] Frustrations of the Web for image display
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 08:27:07 -0600
At 11:50 PM 6/6/2003 -0700, Moose wrote:
I've put up a web photo gallery of shots in my front yard over the last few weeks at <http://www.geocities.com/dreammoose/garden/index.htm>.

[snip]

So I'm wrestling with this stuff and every time I don't have an app up on the screen, there is this wallpaper image that just about knocks me off my seat filling the screen. The image is the one called 'Iris Emerging' on my site. So I'm frustrated both that I can't show how good some of my images look at a larger size and frustrated at what I'm missing in the small versions that are all I can see of the images you folks have taken and shared.

Nothing to be done about it at the moment, but thanks for letting me vent.

Moose:

Well, as the guy who runs the Olympus Gallery (around 3,000 images and growing), I sympathize completely. One suggestion -- you can always provide a link to your really large images (with your smaller ones being teasers) that comes with a warning, such as "If you like this at this resolution, click here to see it at a truly awe-inspiring resolution! WARNING: Honkin' big image [550K]. May need to go to work for a day and then come back if you're trying to view this over a dial-up connection." 8^>

As well, experimenting with image compression can sometimes yield fabulous results in a fairly compact image size, depending on the image. But yes, there are certainly compromises to be had when trying to share your vision over the Internet...

Garth