Re: [OM] Frustrations of the Web for image display

Subject: Re: [OM] Frustrations of the Web for image display
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 23:49:21 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:

Lovely photos Moose. The most interesting ones, for me at any rate, are the ones with the muted lighting. The White Sprites, pretty as they are, look a little ordinary, whereas the Irises look really interesting.

Thanks! I generally agree that indirect or muted light makes for great images, although I rather like some in birght direct sunlight. I like the light coming through and shadows from behind the central petal in White Spider. Deep in the heart of Iris was also taken in direct sun so the interior would be lighted by light coming through the petals. There is also a lot of subtle color detail in the petals and droplets in Iris Emerging, and similar things in some others that isn't apparent in the reduced and compressed images.

That Kiron lens seems to work very well; is it a "macro"?

Yes, it is a true macro which focuses directly down to 1:1 without any accessories. Overall one of my favorite lenses. Bokeh that is a little busy/edgy in some shots at f5.6 with background fairly close is about the only small negative I can find.

All the pages came up really well, and the portrait format images just fitted on my 17" monitor set at 1024 x 768 (except that the navigation buttons and caption were excluded if I had the image complete), but the landscapes could have been bigger if you had wanted. For me, it is sizing that takes the time and organisation, especially if there are portraits as well as landscape.

You'll notice that these are all the same size, 600 pixels on the long dimension. I just tossed them all in the hopper and let PS size them and create the pages and thumbnails. I've been thinking how to put the titles and navigation arrows on the side of portrait images and below landscape images in an automated process, but haven't gotten far.

Moose