[OM] *bay negatives

Subject: [OM] *bay negatives
From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 22:55:31 +0200
Hello,

I came accross this today on a Mac website,
Just to proof that caution when looking at *Bay feedback is important.
Just weird this apparently works :(
here it is:

Subject: erasing bad *Bay feedback

I have just experienced one of the tricks that regular $Bay (UK) vendors use
to erase negative feedback from dissatisfied buyers from their public
record.

Six weeks ago I bought a monitor from a vendor who appeared to have an
exemplary feedback history. But after the auction ended, I was unable to
contact the vendor for two weeks and duly left negative feedback on his
record. He then contacted me - from Pakistan - saying that he had been
called abroad at short notice and would contact me upon his return. He also
posted an explanatory follow-up to my negative feedback explaining that he
had had to leave the country suddenly.

He duly returned and we were able to complete the transaction in about a
month. I have no real complaints about the monitor but I was stunned four
weeks later to discover that the vendor had left negative feedback on my own
$Bay
record, complaining that *I* had delayed the transaction by a month! Since
he had already published an explanation of his own culpability for the
delay, I was flummoxed by the reason for the false feedback he had posted
about me. I emailed him but got no reply. I then emailed eBay and asked them
to remove the false feedback on the grounds that it was obviously and
provably unfounded. The email reply from $Bay revealed the vendor's
underhand motive. It read, in part:
I have determined that the feedback comment you identified in your e-mail
allegedly left by xxx falls within the provisions of our feedback removal
policy and it will be removed. Please note that our decision to remove the
feedback does not constitute a finding by us that the identified content is
defamatory or otherwise unlawful.

Please be aware that all feedback placed by either side referring to this
transaction will be removed as part of our procedure. Once we have removed
the identified content we will consider this matter resolved.

So - in order to erase negative feedback from your record, all you need to
do is concoct some obviously false feedback about the buyer and all
feedback, from both sides of the transaction, will be erased.