Re: [OM] buying a cheap tripod?

Subject: Re: [OM] buying a cheap tripod?
From: Dizel <webmaster@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:52:10 +0200
Marc Lawrence wrote:

I was given a Manfrotto tabletop tripod with it's
mini-ball head...

http://tinyurl.com/d8rs

...for free with a magazine subscription.

Nice one ;)

Apart from the cork pads falling of the feet almost
instantly, it's a nifty little thing.

take old mousepad and cut replacement pads from its
black neoprene, then glue them with epoxy.. ;)

weighs less than half a kilogram). It "feels" very stable
in horizontal mode (it's very spreadeagled when open),
though take this with a large grain of salt - I've
not tested its vibration or anything.

When I am doing longer expoosures on Leica Tabletop, I press camera
down with my hands - and I can go safely to 1 sec and below.
But you have to know your mini-tripod and tighten its
ballhead really hard ;)

Still, it's biggest plus is that it's a tripod that goes
a lot of places - how can it not when it can fit in the
pocket of some of my pants. Handy to have some kind of
support available when none other is (I think running these
last two sentences together somehow gets me free membership
of the Benny Hill Fan Club ;-) ).

I usually have my Leica Tabletop with me - no wonder, this:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004U0D8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
is smaller than my hand - 43x85x74mm.. ;) 82 grams..;)

I don't know how much it is, but it can't be that expensive
if they were "free" to subscribers.

Even mine, a silly money toy for wealthy dentists and one
relatively poor webmaster ;) costs some 50$ new. How much can
Hama cost then? 20 $? :)
                                St.
             (XS360 Diesel - Sampo Lappelil, ZliMC)
                  http://www.familyofman2.com
 GH !d a- C--- E--- W+++ N++ o++++ PS+++ !tv b+++ D++ e* h* r++ z**