RE: [OM] buying a cheap tripod?

Subject: RE: [OM] buying a cheap tripod?
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 22:38:41 +1000
> Dizel [mailto:webmaster@xxxxxxxx] wrote:
> If you want lighter still - buy a small mini-tripod, I used
> to like both Leica Mini Tripod and Leica TableTop tripod -
> pressed against tree trunk, both are very useful..

I was given a Manfrotto tabletop tripod with it's
mini-ball head...

http://tinyurl.com/d8rs

...for free with a magazine subscription.

Apart from the cork pads falling of the feet almost
instantly, it's a nifty little thing. Problem is, although
it holds my OM1 and 50/1.4, either horizontal or vertical
(and the MjuII and c5050x easy-peasy), I'm not sure how it
would go with a bigger "body cap" on the OM1 (horizonal is
obviously a bit more stable). 2kg is it's official limit,
and it feels like it's made out of cast steel (though it
weighs less than half a kilogram). It "feels" very stable
in horizontal mode (it's very spreadeagled when open),
though take this with a large grain of salt - I've
not tested its vibration or anything.

Still, it's biggest plus is that it's a tripod that goes
a lot of places - how can it not when it can fit in the
pocket of some of my pants. Handy to have some kind of
support available when none other is (I think running these
last two sentences together somehow gets me free membership
of the Benny Hill Fan Club ;-) ).

I don't know how much it is, but it can't be that expensive
if they were "free" to subscribers.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz