Re: [OM] Does buying a medium format make sense anymore?

Subject: Re: [OM] Does buying a medium format make sense anymore?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 21:19:38 -0700
Doesn't make any sense to me, but heck, it didn't make any sense to me before digital. The choice of tools to create the images one wants is awfully personal. I like telephoto and cf/macro shots, portability and flexibility, so MF doesn't do much for me. Yet I have a friend who loves his 6x7 SLR.

Unless you plan to get a MF slide projector or regularly make prints bigger than 8x10, with a MF, you are going to pay a lot more for each shot without taking advantage of the larger format. Of course, you may get a charge at looking at that big transparency through a loupe and marveling at the detail. Or you may like to stick your face close to an 8x10 or use a magnifier and ohh and ahh at the smoothness. Otherwise, good technique with 35mm will give images as pleasing under normal viewing as MF.

Moose

Albert wrote:

Well, I am saving up for a Fuji medium format rangefinder. (GW670III or GW690III) but with the approachment of the digitals, does it make sense to buy a medium format rangefinder, as unlike the Hassy's, I can't change the back into digital backs?

Thoughts? Sorry, OT..