Re: [OM] Does buying a medium format make sense anymore?

Subject: Re: [OM] Does buying a medium format make sense anymore?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 00:10:16 -0400
IMO it will be some time before digital catches up to medium format in a manner that is affordable. If money is no object, there are already digital medium format backs. Requires the entire gross national product to buy one though. RF versus SLR versus TLR is a personal choice and involves how much you need to change lenses. The typical TLR (Mamiya being an exception) is a fixed lens camera. While most of the RF's may have interchangeable lenses, there are only a few. The SLR is most versatile with wide range of focal lengths offered for them. You should be able to get a basic, older medium format camera body and lens for under $500, possibly under $300, and still have a decent quality body and lens to show for it.

-- John