[OM] Second Impressions: Tamron 35-105/2.8 SP

Subject: [OM] Second Impressions: Tamron 35-105/2.8 SP
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 00:47:23 -0400
Got to run a few rolls behind the Tamron 35-105/2.8 SP (Adaptall II) over the past few days and portions of a wedding with it tonight.

Note left out from before. Unlike the Zuiko's, the Tamron has half-stop detents on the aperture ring. Gotta remember this as I sometimes jockey the aperture from a preset and count detents!

Second Impressions (in use):

Shot a test roll through it before doing something critical (wedding):
  Sharp
  contrasty
  Excellent flare control
  Decent bokeh
  Accurate meter biasing through the Adaptall II

Just got home from shooting wedding candids with it:
Camera body for the candids was an OM-2S with 2-13 screen. The one-plus stop increase in speed is a **major** improvement over the Zuiko 35-105/3.5~4.5 in ease of focusing. Much brighter viewfinder combined with a noticeably shallower depth of field make life much easier when lights are dimmed down. NO blacked out RF spot (wooo-hooo) which has been a pain in low light with the Zuiko. Didn't think one stop would make that much difference, but it does. Otherwise it works much the same (albeit slightly bigger and heavier). In the past I've had to resort to the 50/1.4 MC and swap it out with the 85/2 to get some standoff. Tonight I didn't need to and that's a blessing. Simplicity with one lens means fewer lost candid opportunities. It's bad enough when changing film; combine that with swapping lenses and the percentage of missed opportunities increases.

Did discover its larger barrel won't allow me to mount the camera on the rotating flash bracket with the lens mounted on the body. I have to mount the body, then mount the lens. No real issue with this as I use other camera bodies and lenses for available light work. Should have realized this as the Zuiko 35-105 barrel just barely fits.

I have now joined the ranks of non-OEM lens users. <sigh>
It's the fast 35-105 Olympus *should* have made.

Footnote:
BTW, I'd have been saving my nickels and dimes for a 35-80/2.8 Zuiko, but I use the extra 25mm range at the long end heavily.

-- John
Who's typing this in from the on-line hookup at the f-Stop Bar and Grill