[OM] Tamron 35-105/2.8 SP - First Impressions

Subject: [OM] Tamron 35-105/2.8 SP - First Impressions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 23:14:03 -0400
First:
Thanks to those who commented about this lens and gave some tips about mounting the Adaptall II.

Got the lens today! Perfect glass and no obvious internal dust (or fungus, or mites). Compared to the Zuiko 35-105/3.5~4.5 it's about the same length with slightly larger diameter and a bit heavier (which Moose mentioned). But it's not really bulky. Heavier than Zuiko's I have of similar size (because of its speed), it's short enough to still balance well. Definitely smaller and noticeably lighter than its successor, the 28-105/2.8 a friend of mine has for his MF Nikon system.

The Adaptall II is the newer "OL" that won't decapitate the reset button on the OM-4's lens mount and it is in LN- condition (was it ever used?? no mounting rub marks on the flanges). I'm thankful to the person who mentioned aligning the green dots and setting the aperture wide open when mounting it on the lens! Mounted to all my OM bodies firmly with positive latching of the locking tab.

Rear barrel behind the focus/zoom ring is metal and feels/sounds slightly thinner than a typical Zuiko but still strong; front barrel appears to be a composite, albeit hefty, thick and solid feeling. Sliding the focus ring to adjust focal length isn't the velvety smooth action of the Zuiko, but it's not objectionable either. Turning the ring to focus is very smooth and feels good.

Overall in build and "feel" I give it good marks. Definitely not a Zuiko, but it's well ahead of the dirt cheap things Can*n and Nik*n are bundling their consumer grade cameras with in discount department stores (which feel like absolute crap).

Compared metering same scene with a 50/1.4 MC and the Tamron with zoom at about midrange. Same readings across the aperture range they had in common. Linkages are snappy and work well (tested it with the back off and lens stopped fully down to f/32).

Loaded up the unexposed back half of a roll of Royal Gold 200 I had unloaded a couple weeks ago. Planning on shooting it tomorrow on some local "test targets" . . . things with combinations of high detail, sharp contrast, smooth gradations, etc. Hopefully, this example lives up to the reputation touted in Photodo.

More after I get the film developed and thanks to those who shared their experiences with this lens.

-- John