Re: [OM] The Zone System

Subject: Re: [OM] The Zone System
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 01:43:45 -0400
The specifics methods used by the Zone System have less application for my usage of transparency film. The Zone System is still valuable philosophically as its underlying goals are:
* controlling everything
* calibrating everything to determine precise cause->effect, and
* providing a precision strategy for setting an exposure to create
    the desired densities of various luminance levels on film.

The latitude of transparency films is quite narrow compared to color negative. Expousre and is nearly always set for midtones to create "medium" density on the transparency. For me, the hurdle in making a decision to do otherwise is higher than with negative film; it requires a more compelling reason to do so. But it does leave me thinking about desired highlight and shadow detail, and how much density on film is desired (if I can do that within the film's latitude) and evaluating beforehand whether or not both highlight and shadow detail *can* be captured (if not, then deciding which is to be abandoned).

-- John