Re: [OM] "Deasil", was olympus-digest V2 #4025

Subject: Re: [OM] "Deasil", was olympus-digest V2 #4025
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 13:52:33 -0700
You've got some genders mixed up there. Derecho means right in the sense of 'correct, straight'. Tell a driver to go "al derecho" and he will go straight ahead. "a la derecha" will get him to turn right. Similarly, the noun form 'izquierda' means left and is feminine. "Mira la vista por la izquierda." means "Look at the view to the left." The adjective, of course, ends in 'a' or 'o' depending on the gender of the noun it modifies. So, in Spanish, the symbolic subtext is that straight ahead, straightforward, etc. are masculine qualities and deviation, turning aside, etc. are feminine qualities.

In Italian, the noun for the direction left is 'sinestra', and for right is 'destra', both feminine. The plurals end in 'o'.

Moose

Chris Barker wrote:

Interesting word Walt, never heard of it (and "widdershins" is from a long way back in my memory!).

But "dexter" is indeed Latin for right - "dexterous" is derived from it. Whereas "sinister" is Latin for left, and the derivation of "sinister" in English is that left was bad, right good; for that reason the guest of honour sat on the host's right hand.

The Latin-derived languages in South Europe still use descendants of "dexter" and "sinister"; in Italian it's "destro" and "sinistro" I believe; in Spanish "derecho" and "izquierdo" (had to look that one up in the tourist dictionary); and in French "droit" and "gauche". It is interesting (well I think so anyway ;-)) that "gauche" is a word in English to mean awkward or even naive.