Re: [OM] "Deasil", was olympus-digest V2 #4025

Subject: Re: [OM] "Deasil", was olympus-digest V2 #4025
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 16:35:07 -0400
I freely confess that neither word was known to me until some
years ago when I was reading a biography of Sir Richard Francis
Burton, who, as you probably already know, disguised himself as an
Arab and became, ostensibly, the first Caucasian to enter Mecca.
He described the direction of march around the Tomb of the Prophet
as proceeding widdershins.  I immediately went for the unabridged,
where I learned both the meaning of widdershins and deasil.  I
have prized them both ever since.

Though there's really no such entity, I have a corporate American
Express card in the name of Widdershins & Deasil.  I pay the bill,
so they don't care.

Walt