Re: [OM] Fast Bright Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast Bright Flash
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:10:10 -0400
Fair enough.  I'll start.  Somebody, check my math:  The first strobe fires and
the duration is 1/8000th S = 0.000125S

three zeros after the decimal point

I'm gonna guess that the secondary strobes are 6 feet away away.  The first
burst
reaches them at the speed of light and remarkably, we know that speed:
186,000 miles per second.
To travel 6 feet takes 1.93 x 10^-16 years.
Reference: http://www.ex.ac.uk/cimt/dictunit/ccleng.htm

1.93 x 10^-16 "LIGHT-YEARS"
/365 days in a year = 5.28 x 10^-19 DAYS
/24 hours in a day = 2.20 x 10^-20 HOURS
/60 minutes = 3.67 x 10^-22 MINUTES
/60 seconds = 6.12 x 10^-24 SECONDS

By my math, the triggering first pulse reaches all of the
equidistant secondary strobes in
0.00000000000000000000000612 Seconds.

That's 23 zeros between the decimal and the six.  So far we
don't have a blurry wingtip on our collective hummingbird.

Matt, how much time does your slowest slave take to trigger?  The Shipman book
says the duration of an unladen African T32 is 1/1000
to 1/40,000 seconds.  (10th printing, p98, mode not stated but probably both
Normal Auto & TTL)

That's .0001 to .000025 seconds.  The minimum duration has 4 zeros between the
decimal and the first significant digit.  If a
circuit can 'quench' within 0.000025 seconds, it seems reasonable to assume
that it would be able to 'start' in a period of the same
order of magnitude.

By your spec, the first flash starts at zero and ends at 0.000125S (1/8,000th)
If all of the secondary strobes were T32 models, quenched by cupping the output
back into the "O", the math is:

0 light leaves the main strobe plus
0.00000000000000000000000612 light arr. @ slave plus
0.000025 slave reacts, turning on T32 plus
0.000025 shortest duration of a T32 strobe equals
0.000050 seconds the T32 quenches

The original flash is still going!  The original flash takes 1/8000 to quench
but all of the T32 strobes quench sooner, at two times
(1/40,000) = 1/20,000.  Cool!

The sick thing is, I miss this stuff!!

Lama

From: "Wayne Harridge"