Re: [OM] Hazy 65-200

Subject: Re: [OM] Hazy 65-200
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:11:33 -0500
Very likely it's just fungus, which MAY be removed with cleaning -- there's no
way to know without trying.

The "haze" on this one particular element of the 65-200mm is quite unusual in
that it is so predictably common!  There's GOT to be something about it's
coating or make-up that promotes this problem.  But I doubt strongly if it's
truly a "fungus" problem.

Fungus usually needs two "ingredients" -- moisture and warmth.  The easiest to
deal with is moisture -- keep your lenses dry!  If you live in or even visit an
area with high humidity or store your lenses in closed cases for long periods of
time, invest in some desiccant to store with your equipment.  Once your lenses
develop fungus, get them cleaned right away -- it will only get worse, and will
eventually damage the elements permanently.