RE: [OM] Fast Bright Flash

Subject: RE: [OM] Fast Bright Flash
From: Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:00:53 -0400
Cc: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At 11:40 26-04-03 +1000, Wayne Harridge wrote:
>Although the 283 flash duration may be 1/8000
>individually, what do you think the chance is that they will sync
>"simultaneously" using an optical slave ?

Good question. I'm using a bunch of optical slave units all of the same model
and from the same manufacturing batch. Hopefully they will all have the same
timing. Since they were not very expensive, I suppose there could be
manufacturing variability. But I think 1/8000s should not be an unreasonably
short time span to expect an electrical circuit to act within. Moose's "stick
test" (waving a stick through the FOV of a test shot) might diagnose a lot. Can
examine the resulting slide with a 20x loupe, particularly looking at the edge
of the stick.

I will try and get my first day's shoot (with real hummers) developed quickly
so I can examine the results.

At any rate, I was hoping to avoid lots of long PC wires to trip over.

If the flashes do go off at slightly different times, it could have interesting
effects on the texture of the wings.

>  I look forward to seeing the results.

Will post results here in Mid-June.
--