Re: [OM] 300/4.5 $350 in Australia

Subject: Re: [OM] 300/4.5 $350 in Australia
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:00:24 -0700
Well, that's fine for the sellers. The problem with that strategy as a buyer is that it gives other buyers a chance to start bidding against my proxy, lose their heads and out bid me well before the auction closes. If I then check before the close, it's way too easy to just toss in another bid at the end. I overbid (based on value to me in retrospect) on a few of items early in my 'Bay experience, nothing outrageous, but still...... A snipe for the same amount as the proxy bid doesn't get others bidding against my limit early. I think it has saved me money many times, both though sometimes winning at a lower price and sometimes keeping me from overbidding at the end.

Someone with a clearer head and more discipline might not need the latter, but could still benefit from the former.

BTW, I might not be saying all this if I didn't already have prety much all the Oly kit I want (and more than I need :-) ).

Moose

Andrew Gullen wrote:

I now deal with sniping the way eBay suggests: put in the amount that I
would be willing to bid up to and let proxy bidding take care of it. If no
else bids or snipes higher, I lose nothing. If a sniper comes in between the
current and max bid, he gets squelched. If he goes higher than my max price,
then fine, it's his.