RE: [OM] 300/4.5 $350 in Australia

Subject: RE: [OM] 300/4.5 $350 in Australia
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 17:49:32 -0700
Hi Piers,

I agree with you. In real world auctions, ending an auction early like that
is known as "dropping" the sale. It's where an auctioneer suddenly
accelerates the pace in order to shut out further bidding and control what
buyer (usually a buddy) gets the deal. It's certainly unethical, and in some
places illegal.

I would hope that it's 'illegal' under Ebay rules as well. By ending the
auction early, but selling the item, it seems to me that if nothing else the
seller also cheats Ebay out of part of their fee. Also, I would think
there's be no Ebay protection (thin as it is) to the buyer, since the
auction didn't properly complete. I certainly wouldn't bid on that
particular auction.

---
Scott