Re: [OM] Baseball photography - I want a Tamron 80-200/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Baseball photography - I want a Tamron 80-200/2.8
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:58:34 -0500
At 07:46 AM 4/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:
many of the Tamron 80-200's are missing their flimsy tripod mount
but you can finagle an oly tripod mount onto one.

Wayne

Much better than finagle. I replaced the mount on mine with genuine Oly and I like it so much better. The Tamron tripod mount IMHO is a goofy piece of work by comparison.

This should be an inspiration, I hope, to any who have an opportunity to pick up one of these fine lenses that happens to be missing the mount. You have to do two things however:: 1) remove the rubber padded lining inside the mount, 2) file off the little protrusion on the top inside of the mount, 3) replace the rubber padded lining with a strip of electrical tape. OK, that's three things.

You have to remove the inner lining of the Oly mount to increase the inside diameter of the mount to make it more closely match the outside diameter of the lens. The added thickness of the electrical tape makes the fit just about perfect. Works very nicely and looks great.

Joel W.