Re: [OM] Baseball photography - I want a Tamron 80-200/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Baseball photography - I want a Tamron 80-200/2.8
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:38:27 -0700
I thought it was sturdy enough too, until I used it on a monopod in awkward situations. I kept feeling that something wasn't quite tightened up enough and would check the tripod mount screw and the screw that tightens the mount. I know that others had broken these mounts by overtightening this screw, so I was careful. Even though everything was tightened securely, there was still this feeling of something slightly leess that solid. Later I sat down with the equipment and really checked it out. What I found is that the mount itself actually flexes, not much, but noticeable to my hands holding the camera down against a monopod. Now it suddenly made sense to me that some people had broken them. They can feel loose when really fully tightened, leading one to really bear down on the tightener. It just isn't a very good design. The tripod mount on the Tokina 80-200/2.8 is far superior, small. light, sturdy and unobtrusive. On the other hand, now that I fully understand the Tamron mount's dynamics, I can use it effectively without danger of breaking it.

Knowing about the replacement possibility of an Oly mount adds to the feeling of security.

Moose