Re: [OM] Calibrating the OM4 diopter for glasses/eye fatigue?

Subject: Re: [OM] Calibrating the OM4 diopter for glasses/eye fatigue?
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 20:58:18 -0500
As I recall, the early OM's all had a positive diopter "built in" -- the data
page from the Olympus Sales Information File for the "Eyecup 1, Dioptric
Correction Lens 1 & Eye Coupler" implies that this value is +2.

The data page for the OM-4, OM-4T, et al, shows that their eyepieces are
adjustable from +1 to -3 diopters.  There's no "zero position" -- one simply
adjusts until the image is most comfortable.

I've shot with progressives for several years with no discomfort -- it sure is
convenient, not having to remove my glasses to check out the camera, then put
them on to see the subject and focus!  To set the diopter, it's best to remove
the lens entirely and set it so that the focusing screen is sharpest -- that
way, you're not trying to focus on anything "beyond" the screen, causing you to
strain the eye.