Re: [OM] Calibrating the OM4 diopter for glasses/eye fatigue?

Subject: Re: [OM] Calibrating the OM4 diopter for glasses/eye fatigue?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 23:07:07 -0700
I use progressives. The problem may be that the angle that you look through the glasses doesn't match the setting of the diopter. I think the trick is to look through the viewfinder at a well focused image in exactly the way you hold the camera and look when taking pics and, very important, relaxed and with rested eyes. Don't try to bring it into focus with effort of the eyes, just turn the diopter adjustment back and forth until the viewfinder image is in best focus. Then mark this place with a tiny dot of paint or carefully count the clicks from one end of the diopter range so you can reproduce it. Then push the knob in to lock it. I wonder if diopter knobs may mysteriously become unlocked and move under heavy use of the camera?

AF in no better in many situations than the care with which you put the little box (or whatever) over the area you want in focus and lock it. This still requires peering through a viewfinder, usually one that is smaller and/or darker than the OM-4. Try out viewfinder and AF operation before committing.

Moose

Fast Primes wrote:

Hi Folks,

Last year, I went on a photo tour that was really intense in terms of shooting, I shot over 50 rolls of film most being with the OM4, but also a MF RF as well. Toward the end of the tour, my right eye became so exhausted, I had to switch to the left for shots. Not, only do I wear glasses, but they are progressive as well. Prior to the tour, I had never experienced this before! My question is, for those who wear glasses (particularly progressives), how do your OM4 (or 3) diopter correction for minimal eye fatigue? Possible, it might be a good aidea to not use progressives, but a particlar single vision lenses optimized for a distance X? Or am I asking the impossible and should consider AF for the next heavy shooting foray?