Re: [OM] Digilog vs Anotal

Subject: Re: [OM] Digilog vs Anotal
From: Per Ohstrom <poo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 16:38:50 +0200
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 23:00 2003-04-03, Moose wrote:
One thing I've noticed over the time I've been on the list is that those who really poo-poo digital are those who haven't tried current, top end equipment. They tend to argue from theory. Those who give it a real try are (mostly) converted. Not that digital is necessarily 'better', but that it is for real and capable of producing images equivalent in quality to wet analog methods, although not the same. I bought a 2mp DC a couple of years ago for its size, convienience and immediacy (and maybe 'cause I have a little gear head in me :-) ).Based on my reasearch and theory and the 'some picture is better than no picture' principle, I hoped that 4x5 sized prints from it wouldn't be too bad. Guess what? Even cropped images produce beautiful 8x10 prints on the Epson.

In spite of my initials I don't really pooh-pooh digital :-) I have tried it (not with digital SLR but a N*k*n 5700) and personally just don't think it is fun. But if I worked as a professional photog I'm sure I would use digital, at least on some assignments.

As I see it there are two ways of going digital: (1) shooting film and scan it (or the prints) or (2) shooting with a digital camera.

I have no problems with the former way. If you shoot film and scan it you can have the best of the two worlds. And you can use your OMs! But I am a bit bothered by the latter way for 2 reasons: (1) it is very non-OM because of the way digicams work--very AF, very auto-everything; and (2) the issue of the preservation of the pictures.

When you shoot film, the negatives (or the slides) are your originals. You may scan them and continue to work digitally with the pictures, or you may copy them in the old wet darkroom technique (or let a lab do it), but the film originals will always be there for keeps, probably at least for 50 years for colour film and hopefully a lot more for B&W film. When you shoot digitally, on the other hand, your picture files are you originals, and you should be aware of the issue of preservation and have a strategy for that (if it is at all important, of course).

You have to be aware of the following issues:
1. Media
2. File format
3. Software

Of these, the first is probably the one with the longest life span. CD-R is said to have at least 25 years. File format maybe has a little shorter life span, depending on what format you choose. And the software used to create or manipulate the files is the most short-lived. This means that you should not archive files in a proprietary software file format. If you do and then forget about them, they will probably not be retrievable in a few years. Maybe that is not a great deal to you, and then that's fine. But if you think that it would be nice if your grandchildren (or someone else) would be able to look at your pictures in the future, you would perhaps want to address the problem.

One way of doing that is to have a strategy to save your files in the most commonly used good (not compressed) file format used presently (today that would be uncompressed TIFF, I think) and then migrate your picture files from media to media and from file format to file format in maybe 10-year intervals. (Or at least access them to see that they are still readable.) This I believe is a common strategy with many museums and archives.

I think you should not save them in an internal RAW format, which is proprietary and may not be readable in ten years, nor in JPEG, which is a destructive compression format. Of course, converting from JPEG to TIFF doesn't help, since the lossy compression already has been done.

If these things are taken care of in a planned way, digital filing may actually be better and even more reliable than film, but if it is not done, the opposite is probably the case. And I think that many family pictures taken with digicams will disappear into the digital void in one way or the other, often because of not knowing or bothering about this, and that is a great pity.

Well, so many words for my simple thoughts. I might have overlooked something or maybe misunderstood some facts, so it would be interesting to learn what opinions you list members have. And what strategies you may have for your digital photos, especially those working professionally.

Best regards,
-poo