Re: [OM] Digilog vs Anotal

Subject: Re: [OM] Digilog vs Anotal
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:00:07 -0800
That's what I've felt since a friend got an Epson 1270. I just went out and bought one and can't imagine, from the standpoint of appearance when new (i.e. ignoring longievity) why I would ever want a wet print again. I'm still getting 4x6s of the neg stuff as proofs, but hope to get away from that pretty soon. One of the local shops now will do a CD of 1536x1024 jpegs, smaller, web size jpegs and thumbnails for $13.50 including processing. While not Photo CD quality, they are way better than the Picture CDs I tried a few months ago and more tha good enough to tell which images are worth scanning myself.

I'm going to try some 4-up and 2-up prints from them compared to the 4x6s from the same rolls. If they are comparable, I just need to find a quick, convienient way to print 2-ups and 4-ups in Photoshop or some other piece of software (any recommendations out there?) and I can skip the 4x6 prints altogether. Use Epson double sided paper and I've got instant photo album.

One thing I've noticed over the time I've been on the list is that those who really poo-poo digital are those who haven't tried current, top end equipment. They tend to argue from theory. Those who give it a real try are (mostly) converted. Not that digital is necessarily 'better', but that it is for real and capable of producing images equivalent in quality to wet analog methods, although not the same. I bought a 2mp DC a couple of years ago for its size, convienience and immediacy (and maybe 'cause I have a little gear head in me :-) ).Based on my reasearch and theory and the 'some picture is better than no picture' principle, I hoped that 4x5 sized prints from it wouldn't be too bad. Guess what? Even cropped images produce beautiful 8x10 prints on the Epson.

Moose

AG Schnozz wrote:

3. Digital prints equaling wet prints.  It's finally happened for me.  I
converted over to Ilford Galerie papers and have produced prints that have
absolutely no digital telltails. None!  There is absolutely no clue that the
image is from my Canon printer.  A 4000 dpi scanner would help some in the
sharpness department, but I've produced stunning 8x10s from my ancient Coolscan
II 2700 dpi scanner.  There is an algorithm in Canon's printer driver that,
when turned on, essentially disolves the pixelization caused by blowing up a
file too much. It really works!  I mean, it REALLY works!