[OM] Digilog vs Anotal

Subject: [OM] Digilog vs Anotal
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 07:47:06 -0800 (PST)
A couple of stray thoughts here:
1. Video was supposed to have replaced film stock a couple of
decades ago.  Are there productions going on using film stock?
Yes.  Why?  Digital Video is superior in almost every way.  The
conversion over to video is happening in a big way, but many
years after the tombstone was chiselled.

2. Film will remain a viable method of still photography capture
for some time yet.  Not for everything, but for some segments it
will remain.  B&W Fine Art Photography being only one of those
segments.

3. Digital prints equaling wet prints.  It's finally happened
for me.  I converted over to Ilford Galerie papers and have
produced prints that have absolutely no digital telltails.
None!  There is absolutely no clue that the image is from my
Canon printer.  A 4000 dpi scanner would help some in the
sharpness department, but I've produced stunning 8x10s from my
ancient Coolscan II 2700 dpi scanner.  There is an algorithm in
Canon's printer driver that, when turned on, essentially
disolves the pixelization caused by blowing up a file too much.
It really works!  I mean, it REALLY works!

4. I'm almost psychologically ready to go digital for everything
but the B&W.  The technology is starting to "arrive" to the
point where I know I can jump in and not regret my purchase six
months later.  Just maybe Olympus might capture my heart and
credit card.

5. Contrary to #4, I like being able to leaf through my slides
and see something that I hadn't seen before.  A whole new way of
cropping or color enhancement that fits my mood.  Granted, I can
do the exact same thing with digital by keeping the original
files untouched, but will I?

6. Contrary again.  Velvia in ISO 100 is awefully inviting.
When Fuji, Kodak, Agfa and Ilford stop improving the films I
guess we can consider analog dead.

7. Contrary redux.  I too, just did a submission where the art
director specifically requested film because of various hassles
and quality problems with digital.  This from a publisher that
handles over 900f the images in digital.  The requirements
also went on to specifiy that the images be taken on Velvia or
Provia as it matches their printing inks and paper combination
the best.  They also preferred that the submissions be a minimum
of 645 but would accept 35mm if technically superior.  It's been
two years since I saw these requirements and at least a year
since I express mailed a tranny.

AG-Schnozz