Re: [OM] Looking for opinions on 2 lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for opinions on 2 lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 19:49:18 -0800
You might want to read the Cult Classics Page section on the Vivitar 70-210s <http://medfmt.8k.com/third/cult.html> before going for the earliest version. I have one in a Nik*n mount that probably predates the OM-1. It was a spectacular performer back then and is still pretty decent, but lens materials and design have moved on.

The 67mm Vivitar is bigger around, the same weight and a bit shorter than the Tamron SP 60-300/3.8-5.4 and it's once amazing macro capability can't hold a candle to the Tamron. The Tamron is a bit slower at 200mm, but goes out to 300mm. The Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5 is MUCH smaller and lighter and focuses down to 1:4. The Tamron SP 35-210/3.5-4.2 is heavier trhan the Tokina, but still much smaller and lighter than the Vivitar. Gary tested the 3rd version, the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8~4.0, but it was without mirror lock-up, so we don't know if it's really just a B performer.

It's not that the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm lenses are bad, just that they aren't really competitive with later MF zooms in the practical aspects of size and weight. I also suspect they aren't as good optically as the later Tamron SP and Tokina AT-X lenses. I don't know about later Vivitars,

I don't have a Zuiko 60-200/4. Gary's tests of it are particularly interesting in showing the effect of condition and proper lens support on performance. It is a bit slimmer and shorter than the Vivitar and significantly lighter. I know there are lots of opinions from owners.

My Vivitar also has stiff zooming. I think it wasn't that stiff years ago. I can fell that a lot of stuff is happening in there as I zoom it. Probably grease drying out. A CLA wouldn't be cost effective.

Moose

Gary M. Teller wrote:

<>
After owning an OM-1n for about 25 years I've decided to take it and myself a bit more seriously. One of the first things I want to do is purchase a zoom lens...I'd be interested in hearing your comments on two particular ones:

Zuiko 65-200, f4 macro

Vivitar Series 1 70-210, f 3.5 (the one with 67 mm threads--is seems the 67 mm model is looked upon more favorably by ebayers.)

I've been watching both on ebay and now have a feel for what I should expect to bid/pay. I'm also looking at a Vivitar in person. Everything seems OK with the exception of some stiffness in sliding the zoom...especially from 210 to 70. Is this a common problem to this brand & series? Is there a remedy for this that won't harm the lens?