[OM] eBay extortion?

Subject: [OM] eBay extortion?
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 08:10:06 -0800
> Scam #2 goes like this: This time a buyer gets a 35-70/3.6 using
> "Buy it Now" for $245.00 from me. I notice that this buyer
> ebay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has lots of feedback as a seller of camera
> equipment but not much of a track record as a buyer, so I start to worry.
> I figure he intends to sell the lens, but how can he make any money
> when he paid $245 for the lens? In a few days I find out how, its called
> the shake-down. He says there is some dust in the lens and goes on
> about how he doesn't know if it can be cleaned and if I refund him $100
> it will be OK. Otherwise I should pay shipping both ways and the refund
> because the lens "was not advertised properly" so which would I rather
> do? I point out that I graded the lens KEH EX in my ad, which states
> "glass may have some dust, but no marks" and I provided a link to my
> auction page and the KEH grade page. His reply is to ignore this fact
> and say give me $100 and we have a deal. I feel he is taking advantage
> of my 1000ositive feedback and no questions asked return policy.
> I would even refund shipping if my description was wrong. So do I eat
> the shipping, or the $100 or have this guy ruin my feedback if I don't
> submit to his extortion?

If you _truly_ have a "no questions asked" return policy, then you should
take back the lens and refund the guy's purchase price. Whether he's trying
to "extort" you is beside the point. If you have a stated policy, you must
abide by it.

One other point... I expect the buyer to _fully_ describe an item's
condition. Experienced photographers know that many lenses have a few specks
of dust. If this lens had enough dust to be significant, then it should have
been explicitly mentioned.

Is this guy trying to take advantage of you? Yes. Were you remiss in not
fully describing the lens's condition? Perhaps. I'd give him a full
refund -- including shipping -- and forget about it.