[OM] Re: [OM; now *way* OT] So digital can do it all?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM; now *way* OT] So digital can do it all?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 08:03:03 -0700
At 07:50 PM 4/3/2003 +1000, Saso wrote:
In the message I received, Moose writes:
>Nope, sorry, I was doing the slide rule thing over 10 years earlier.
>Nope, sorry, Algol and Fortran, punch cards, IBM 7090/94, 1964

Abacus anyone?

Done that. Very instructive, those things. Worked with both older Chinese and newer Japanese versions (like everything else, the first thing the Japanese did when the abacus reached their shores was improve it by removing one bead on the carry-digit, thus simplifying and rationalizing the design). It was one of Robert Heinlein's novels I read as a pre-teen (I *think* it was "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress") which first piqued my curiosity about 'em.

On a related note, does anyone know a good source for high-quality slide rules (circular ones preferred)? Or are they totally passé?

Garth