Re: [OM] Standard lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Standard lens?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:41:42 -0800
Some thoughts that haven't been touched on this time around on this perennial topic.

You don't specify the version of your 50/1.8 nor which version of a 50.1.4 you would be looking for. You also don't mention in what way you may be dissatisfied with the current lens or what your primary use/need for the lens is. The 50/1.8 went through at least 5 distinct versions and the 50/1.4 at least 3. The earlier versions of both tend to be soft at or near wide open and the SC versions are, of course, more prone ot flare. There are 2 different versions of the 55/1.2. The earlier one with radioactive rare earth elements in the glass yellows with age. The newer, non-radioactive version doesn't.

If you are interested primarily in 'sharpness' (resolution and contrast), especially wide open, you should be looking at the later versions of the 50mm lenses. But, of course, that isn't what everybody wants. the 55/1.2 is not very sharp or contrasty wide open. Wide open is where you focus, so part of the focusing advantage of a fast lens, shallow DOF, is offset by an inability to create a really sharp image to focus with. If ultimate sharpness is not what you are looking for, one of the early 50s or the 55 may be your cup of tea.

Doro likes her 55/1.2 exactly because it isn't sharp wide open "...the atmosphere of intimate softness it gives when used wide open, indoor, for portraits and such."

Tom Scales likes his very early, radioactive, 50/1.4 "but there is a warmth to the early lens that I like. Just pleasing to me." Gary chimes in that this particular lens of Tom's is actually quite sharp in the center opened up, but that subsequent early 50/1.4s after the rare earth glass was dropped are pretty soft. Is the warmth that Tom likes the same special 'silvernose glow' that some others like or the effect of the rare earth glass yellowing? Who knows.

If you are looking for the best overall combination of resolution and contrast for general purpose use and speed is important, the 50/1.2 is tops, with the downside of size/weight and cost. For me, the 50/1.4 with serial number over 1,085,000 is the best combination of performance over all apertures, size, weight and cost. The 50/1.8 'miJ' version is very close, but there is a design/manufacturing problem with later 50/1.8s you must check for before buying. Many, perhaps even a majority, of the 50/1.8 'MC' version suffer from migration of lubricant into the aperture blades that causes varying degrees of slow or non return to wide open after shooting. A lesser, but significant, number of the 'miJ' versions have the same problem.

For best performance with less need for speed, the 50/2 gets raves from many listees. Others have noted that its 'bleeding edge' sharpness is quite unflattering for portraits. Again, it is big, heavy and expensive compared to the 1.4 and 1.8. If you do a lot of shooting at small apertures, f8 and beyond, the 50/3.5 may be the best bet. My little analysis assigning numbers to Gary's letter grades and averaging/combining resolution and contrast scores was no contest at f1/2, won by the 50/1.4 from f1.4 to f2.8, by the 50/1.8 from f4 to f5.6, the 50/2 & 3.5 at f8 and the 50/3.5 at all smaller apertures. Of course, many of the scores in the middle apertures were very close, probably closer than sample and testing variation.

You didn't mention any need for extra speed, but some replies did. If you look carefully at Gary's tests, you will see that none of these lenses are really sharp wide open, so a shift to faster film may in many cases give better overall results in the final image than a faster and/or wide open lens. f1-8 to f1.4 is 3/4 of a stop. f1/4 to f1.2 is 1/2 a stop. 100 iso to 200 iso is a full stop.

If you are looking for some special glow/atmosphere, I think you are just going to have to try out several lenses. If you really want to find out which is best for you, drop by Berkeley next time you are down in the Bay Area and I'll loan you a bag of 50/1.8s and 1/4s covering almost all the versions to test out. Assuming you have lots of spare time and nothing better to do with it ;-) . I have lots of time, but better things to do with it, so I just use the latest 50/1/4 version for general purpose and the 50/3.5 for flat copy work.

Moose

R. Jackson wrote:

There have been several really interesting replies to this, thank you.

FWIW, my 50mm 1.8 isn't my only lens, it's just my only "standard" focal-length lens. Right Now I own a few Zuikos. I have an 18mm f3.5, a 28mm f2.8, my trusty old 50mm f1.8, a 90mm f2 Macro, a 135mm f2.8 and a 35-80mm f2.8 zoom. I was just wondering if people have found the faster standard lenses worth the added expense. Truthfully, I shoot about 900f what I shoot with my 35-80mm zoom anymore, although the 90/2 has been gaining ground since I got it. I also just got the 18mm from one of Tom Scales' auctions and I love how easy it is to focus. Stopped down, just about everything from a couple of feet to infinity is in focus. You almost don't have to focus in daylight. It makes small spaces look really a lot cooler, too. About the only time I find myself putting the 50 on is when I'm out of light and can't use a flash. I was just trying to decide if it was worth the money to grab a 1.2 or a 1.4 for that kind of low-light stuff.

-Rob