Re: [OM] Standard lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Standard lens?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:26:31 +0200
Well, there is another reason...actually two....for getting a
"faster" normal lens.

Firstly, a slightly faster lens gives a more bright viewfinder -
essential e.g. in indoor situations.

Secondly, a faster lens gives a more shallow depth of field when
focusing - the subject "snaps" easier into focus with e.g. an 1.2
over an 1.8. I have to credit this to Jim B., who brought my
attention to this about a week ago - I'd not thought about it before,
but it is true.

My own experience goes, that with the 55/1.2 (thanks Tom) I was able
to hand-hold many more indoor shots when I visited Japan last summer.
In many temples and other such facilities, flash is not permitted
(for good reasons) - and even a tiny fraction of a stop extra makes a
difference. Even if flash was permitted, it would not aid focusing.

The 55/1.2 has, truely, become one of my most used optics. I like the
slightly longer focal length and the fact that it is an f:1.2.
Impressive glass, perhaps, but not something to leave on the shelf
collecting dust :)

However....if already having a good and satisfying 50/1.8, I'd say
that there is no reason to change. They're great lenses, in
particular the later versions. So unless there is a Really Good
Reason, I'd stick with the 50/1.8 and acquire something of a
different focal length.

I'd second a moderate telephoto as a good way of going beyond the
one-lens-setup. I'd really like to reccomend the 85/2, which IMO is
one of the true "forgotten gems" of the Zuiko series. However that
may be too close to the 50mm focal lengt. A Zuiko 135mm might be
good. The 135/2.8 goes for a very reasonable price, I think, and are
probably what I'd reccomend.

If going wide, I'd say that the 24/2 is an excellent lens as is the
28/2.8. The 28/2.8 is even very affordable.

Still, being a "moderate tele" guy myself, I'd go for the 135mm. I'm
still only learning to use the wides - although I know that opinions
differ on that subject :)

--thomas

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)