RE: [OM] identifying your camera-Why?

Subject: RE: [OM] identifying your camera-Why?
From: "Bob Fenstermacher" <bobfenstermacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:11:38 -0800
While identifying your equipment might be a good idea, wouldn't it be better if
the identifying information were readily obvious to a potential thief-making
his fencing of the goods harder? I actually doubt thieves even care anymore.

Or are we assuming that the police/pawn shops/used camera stores actually find
or attempt to locate the owner of questionable goods?  My family and I have had
quite a few items (large and small-from an expensive flute, to a brand new bike
to a custom racing dinghy, among other things) stolen over the years-never
heard boo from the police about any one of them.
(Never camera equipment so far.)

Our next door neighbor was murdered one night in a very middle class
neighborhood in Long Beach, Ca. The police did a cursory job of investigating
it and closed the book on it-they said drugs may have been involved, so what's
one more dead druggie...

So, we moved eventually, to a quieter, more law abiding island in northern
Washington State.  AND, believe it or not, my semi custom photo shop owner who
is also the local professional photographer, has had three large kit bags
(medium format and 35mm pro stuff) stolen WHILE he was shooting local people's
weddings!!!

Perhaps, the best solution is to never let it be in a vulnerable place and two,
to carry insurance that will at least provide the $$ to try to recreate the kit.

Now that I'm finally getting some of the equipment I've always wanted, I need
to take my own suggestion and look into insurance for my OM treasures.

Bob Fenstermacher