Re: [OM] identifying your camera

Subject: Re: [OM] identifying your camera
From: BA <ande@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:27:22 -0800
On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:47:48 -0400, you wrote:

>I found this tip for protecting one's camera and am wondering if anyone can
>comment on their experience.
>

>"UV Pens will invisibly write your SS# or Driver's License number inside the
>baseplate and backdoor. Good for ID at Police Departments."
>
>The source is to be found at the bottom of this page:
>

>http://cameraquest.com/mguide.htm#M7

Social security number is no good for marking your possessions.  Even
some mumblety-mumble years ago when I worked at a sheriff's
department, the SSD folks would *not* give us information based on a
social security number, not even for notifying owners of found goods.

I don't know what the situation is nowadays with drivers' license
numbers.  We used to get info from the California DMV.  But after that
actress was killed by some psycho who got her address from the DMV,
they've learned to be much more close-mouthed.

I don't know what would be the best ID information to attached to your
possessions.  One might ask at a local police station.  One might also
ask if they have a way to read something like "UV Pen" writing.  Ours
didn't, way back when ...