Re: [OM] A Bay Area Zuikoholics meeting

Subject: Re: [OM] A Bay Area Zuikoholics meeting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:43:02 -0800
First report of the meeting. Thomas Clausen, Jim Brokaw, Mike Butler (with exceedinly cute and well behaved 3 yr old daughter) and I met in Tilden. After a rainy night, the weather was very nice. Many words were exchanged and Oly cameras and lenses waved around standing in the parking lot before embarking on a miniature steam train ride (Thaks Mike). All this exercise led to a general consensus that food and drink were needed, so we adjourned to Orinda, where we found congenial surroundings at the Europa Deli (to make our European visitor feel at home :-) ). Not much picture taking, but much pleasant conversation, a majority of which was on photographic topics, including a serious dose of Olympus. Other topics predictably included motorcycles, cars, jobs, college and some other stuff I don't remember just at the moment.

I met my first OM-3Ti, Jim's almost mint example, and it certanly is an attractive thing with that fancy dark gray paint. I still can't quite see the point, as probably 900f my pictures are taken on Auto or Auto/Spot and it still doesn't have mirror/aperture lock/prefire (what were they thinking?), but it is very handsome. I also met my first 35-105/3.5-4.5, Thomas'. The others got the treat of meeting my new/used Tamron Aspherical LD IF 28-200/3.8-5.6. I was the only one shameless enough to show some pics, but I had a good excuse. Neither Jim nor Thomas have ever been to Point Lobos, one of the most spectacular meetings of land and sea in the world, and I happened to have some pics from a trip last week, so...........

Good weather, good food, good beer, and most importantly, good company, made for a very pleasant afternoon. It's nice to put people to the names I see so often and nice to 'talk' Oly and photography with my mouth and ears instead of fingers and eyes for a change.

Thanks guys,
   Moose