Re: [OM]severely [OT] Re: "Americanism," the American way and this list

Subject: Re: [OM]severely [OT] Re: "Americanism," the American way and this list
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:47:52 -0800
on 3/18/03 1:04 PM, Frank van Lindert at Frank.van@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Of course Saddam Hussein must leave stage ASAP, but please could we
> get rid of Bush and Blair immediately afterwards? Not only the people
> living in Iraq, but also the peoples of the USA and Britain deserve a
> better leader than the ones they are stuck with now.
>

> Frank van Lindert,
> Utrecht NL.

In this country Mr. Bush will have to win an election in ~2 years... given
the narrow margin of the first election (fractions of 1%, much dependent on
how you count it, in the actual votes) Mr. Bush has a lot of future election
hope riding on this war's outcome...

Mr. Saddam Hussein, on the other hand, has handily won all his elections,
most with 990r more of the vote... I submit that perhaps he is the more
'popular' elected leader. However, many Iraqi's may not be willing to
indicate their true feelings, with hundreds of thousands of informants on
Mr. Saddam Hussein's payroll, and secret police out in the population.

I don't see any 'loyal' opposition waving signs in the street-corner
pictures of Baghdad. Perhaps there are no Iraqi's in opposition... or
perhaps the true feeling of the Iraqi population are unknown given their
ability currently to freely protest.

In this country -anyone- can freely wave signs about, so many do. Unable to
control their passion, many are attempting 'civil disobedience'. Last I
heard we hadn't found any evidence that thousands of 'civil disobedience'
practitioners were detained for months or years, tortured, had family
members imprisoned or tortured, or just 'disappeared'.

Perhaps if the US had 'freedoms' like Saddam Hussein's Iraq then Mr. Bush
would win *his* re-elections with 990r more of the vote...

Me, I think I'll stay where I am.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...