Re: [OM] [OT] No more car abuse

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] No more car abuse
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:51:12 -0500

Tom Scales wrote:

> But I don't teach Art History wherever your friend does.  I teach in the
> Florida school system.

Not Art History - just "Art" (crayons, watercolors & stuff). He started in the
early 70's. I think salaries may top out lower if you started within the last 10
years. (~$65,000)

> Starting salary is $28,000, which I believe we could all agree is low for
> our cost of living.

About where I'll be this year with what's going on. Only monetary advantage is I
don't have & will never want kids. (I'm not knocking kids, so no cuddly joy
parental comments, please)

> After 34 YEARS on the job, yes years, my pay scale will peak at $49,917.
>
> Even in New York City, the starting salary is $39,000 and peaks at $51,000.
> Not exactly Park Avenue salaries.
>
> As a comparison, I could be a manager at a Wendy's for $26,000.

> I suspect the career path at Wendy's is better too.

I think McDonalds pays the highest. By far.

> A teacher that makes $79K is VERY, VERY rare and is only in limited areas in
> the Northeast.  In the rest of the country, my salary is startlingly
> typical.
>
> We entrust the future of our children to people stupid enough to take these
> jobs.

Don't knock yourself. I'm sure you'll be a great teacher. :)

> And don't give me the summers off crap.  I'll spend my entire summer
> building my lesson plan for fall -- all at no pay.

They give that Art Teacher friend of mine about $7500 just to teach summer
school, but you need to be chosen by the administration after applying. (Its
good to be buddies with the Principal :)