Re: [OM] [OT] No more car abuse

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] No more car abuse
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 14:46:46 -0800

But I don't teach Art History wherever your friend does.  I teach in the
Florida school system.

Starting salary is $28,000, which I believe we could all agree is low for
our cost of living.

After 34 YEARS on the job, yes years, my pay scale will peak at $49,917.

Even in New York City, the starting salary is $39,000 and peaks at $51,000.
Not exactly Park Avenue salaries.

As a comparison, I could be a manager at a Wendy's for $26,000.

I suspect the career path at Wendy's is better too.

A teacher that makes $79K is VERY, VERY rare and is only in limited areas in
the Northeast.  In the rest of the country, my salary is startlingly
typical.

We entrust the future of our children to people stupid enough to take these
jobs.

And don't give me the summers off crap.  I'll spend my entire summer
building my lesson plan for fall -- all at no pay.

Tom

There is no doubt (good) teachers are underpaid while the rest (bad teachers) ought not to be in their positions to begin with. From what I know of you, Tom, I'm glad you are now in that system.

My wife used to teach (MIS professor) but now is in administration (SJSU). I kid her often she's become part of the problem. Ironically she now more or less juggles a university budget which thinks its cool to pay in-coming non-track professors less than $60K in an area where the cost of housing is close to highest in the nation. As it stands, the school is understaffed by some 20% (I'm told) with enrollments suffering accordingly due to the related inability to thus manage even existing (much less new) sections.

It's all bullshit and has been since I was small.

Larry, I agree with much of what you say but really, it seems at times you simply want to cause friction for the sake of doing so. Also, while I wouldn't classify our sitting president as an intellectual he is hardly a "moron" in the technical sense. What good could from that name-calling?

Tom: hang in there and just take care of those closest.

Tris