Re: [OM] 4/3'rds, why no "standard" lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] 4/3'rds, why no "standard" lens?
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:02:55 -0500
Why no "standard" lens with the E-4/3?

Because only 0.10f SLR's are sold today with anything other than a zoom lens.
(That's my number, not something backed up by any research.)

Face it, the general public doesn't know what a standard lens is, much less
that it should have a 50mm focal length.  Pro's who are buying the E-4/3
(catchy name, huh?) "might" want a standard lens, but most of them make their
money with a bright, 28'ish to 100'ish zoom.

The thing that I'm concerned about is the working distance of the 50mm E-4/3
macro.  It produces the FOV of a 100mm lens on 35mm film, but it could easily
have the working distance of a 50mm macro lens, which is pretty crappy for many
applications.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost