[OM] 4/3'rds, why no "standard" lens?

Subject: [OM] 4/3'rds, why no "standard" lens?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:17:05 -0800
>From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>... only 0.10f SLR's are sold today with anything other than a zoom lens.
>(That's my number, not something backed up by any research.)

I try to talk all my photography students into buying someone's discarded
50/1.8. Many who do so end up abandoning the stock circa 28-80 zoom that came
with the camera!

(Most students with slow stock zooms are unable to do my DOF unit. Their
wide-open shots at f4.5 don't look a lot different than their f16 shots! Then
they gasp in awe when someone in the class puts up a beautiful bokeh slide that
they took with their Dad's 1980's vintage camera with its stock 50/1.8... :-)

>The thing that I'm concerned about is the working distance of the 50mm E-4/3
>macro.  It produces the FOV of a 100mm lens on 35mm film, but it could easily
>have the working distance of a 50mm macro lens, which is pretty crappy for
>many applications.

Am I missing something? The 50mm on an E-4/3 should have the same reproduction
ratio for any given working distance as a 100mm lens covering a 35mm frame. In
other words, if a flower covers a 35mm frame at six inches with a 50mm lens,
that same flower will cover a 4/3 sensor at six inches with a 100mm lens, no?

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>