Re: [OM] Filters Filters Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters Filters Filters
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:03:04 -0800

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Tris Schuler wrote:

> All in all I think I'll stick with my B+W filters with brass threads. <g>

In the past few years B+W has been offering their filters in both a brass
mount and an aluminum mount.  When buying a new filter, be sure to check
that you're getting the mount that you want.  The brass ones are a few
dollars more and some shops don't carry them as regular stock.  I think
the MC versions of the B+W filters come only in a brass mount.
                                        -mark

I'd never noticed that but you're right. This from the B+W site:

Finally, most B+W screw-in filters are mounted in a matte black, corrosion-free brass ring, further reducing surface reflections and minimizing distortion or binding of the filter to the lens, even during rapid temperature changes. All filters must pass manual as well as automated tests to insure that each and every one that leaves the factory meets our critical standards.

It turns out all of my B+W glass has brass threading. A good thing. My 55mm yellow has a scratch on the outside surface, however. A bad thing.

One up, one down. <g>

Tris