Re: [OM] Hitherto Undisclosed Capabilities of Digital Cameras[OT]

Subject: Re: [OM] Hitherto Undisclosed Capabilities of Digital Cameras[OT]
From: "Thomas A Simmons" <tasimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:30:29 -0700
Weelllll, keep me listed as "skeptical" as well on
many of the claims made there.

However, I can state that the Sony chips are exceptional
for low cost-real time Astronomy photos, as they are very
sensitive to low light. For example, I'm using a camera rated
at 0.0005 lux (B&W) and one which is rated at 0.05 (color).
Easily lets one record animals and such with nothing other
than star light. The Black and white camera ran ~$225 with the
power supply and SLR to C adapter. Color was twice as much.

OM content, I have these hooked to OM 50 F1.8, 135 F2.8 and
the 180 F2.8 SLR lenses. WOWZA!!!!! IF you are familiar with
star magnitudes, the 50MM lens goes to MAG 8.5 real time in B&W.
The other two lenses give about another magnitude or so each.
(135 reaches to ~mag 9.5 and the 180 is pushing mag 11). Since
the sensor is smaller relative to 35MM film, you are using the
"sweet spot" of these lenses.

But outside of the real time imaging-no way do any CCD chips
approach the resolution of the same lens on film-yet. What the
chip DOES give you is the ability to reach very dim in seconds.
The quick building of images, and the ability to stack thousands
of them in a relatively short time allows one to minimize the
distortions caused by the atmosphere and/or tracking errors.

Tom
Tucson, AZ