Re: [OM] Filters Filters Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters Filters Filters
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:31:27 -0800
That's interesting if convoluted. It causes me to wonder just what the incidence rate might be for brass (not an especially hard or rigid alloy in its own right) filter threads transmitting enough kinetic energy from impact to damage a lens vis-a-vis filter threads composed of aluminum. Does Hoya cite any figures for that? I know it's never happened to me.

Meanwhile, no mention at all of snagging with aluminum threads, something I _know_ to be prone with that material in mind.

All in all I think I'll stick with my B+W filters with brass threads. <g>

Tris

Tris, on their webpage, Hoya PROUDLY advertises that it's made from aluminum, as it will absorb shock instead of transmit it like brass.

Albert

~~~~~~~~~ Quote from Hoya's website ~~~~~~~~

Hoya believes the filter frame is an extremely important part of the filter as well. Hoya uses machined aluminum frames to hold their high quality glass. They prefer aluminum to other materials because it is strong enough to hold up to years of use. Some say that brass is the best material to use, however, Hoya doesn't hold that view and here is why; brass is a far more rigid material than either aluminum or the polycarbonates that are being use in today's lens barrels. This means that, should the front of the lens get hit, the rigid brass filter ring will transfer almost all the force of the shock to the lens barrels and mechanics. An aluminum filter frame will absorb some of the shock by bending and at a certain point the glass will chip or break, which is what the filter is supposed to do, protect the lens. Replacing a filter is always preferable to getting a lens repaired.