[OM] Candles:Exposure:processing

Subject: [OM] Candles:Exposure:processing
From: "Sam Shiell" <Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:45:34 -0000
Hi Guys,

Been out of the list for a couple of weeks due to some silliness at work, but
back in the real world now. Hope I've not missed anything exciting.

Now, I'm a bit confused here. I've taken some pictures of a friend by candle
light, using the "auto" setting on my OM2n. She's a tall woman and was standing
by 2 candles, the flames of which were in the vicinity of her midriff. Used
various apertures and the exposures were ranging from about 5 to 40 seconds.
ALL of them came out hopelessly underexposed.. practically nothing at all on
the neg. I did of course expect the negatives to be a bit thin, but this is
ridiculous. Has anyone successfully done these sort of photos that can give me
any hints?

Which kind of brings up another concern..... For some years now nearly all my
shots are underexposed except for the ones on a bright day or by flash.... from
both my OM1 and OM2n (on both manual and auto settings). How can this be? I
know I'm loosing my marbles but even I can get the ASA setting right.

Is it possible/likely that this is happening in the lab? I know nothing about
the C41 process but could they have their machine set up wrongly - the lab I
use most has a Konica machine... (I mainly use Fuji 400 colour print film by
the way)

I may try uprating the next roll a stop just to see what happens, but it's
really disheartening.

(ps I've just realised that I haven't bought any Oly gear for over a year
now.... am I likely to get thrown out of the club?)

Sam