Re: [OM] Re: Nikon Digital Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Nikon Digital Lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:13:57 -0800

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 01:14  PM, Skip Williams wrote:

Actually, the new DX lenses are fine for film, but they have a smaller image circle than 35mm film, so they're of VERY limited usefulness.

Strategy multiple choice question:

1. Nikon is planning to keep the small sensor in their current SLRs around for quite a while.

They probably will since it is bigger than the one Olympus proposes as a standard for a class of cameras.

2. Nikon's got a smaller camera up it's sleeve that takes the new lenses.

That would be an interesting alternative to the proposed Oly DSLR. It could be compact too since the sensor is just a bit larger than the Oly one.

3. Nikon's just trying to sell more lenses by introducing something "new and digitally focused" that's lighter than their current offerings.

4. Some or all of the above.

Skip

I think the obvious thing is that they are providing a way to make wide angle images with their cameras with the less than full frame chips. It is interesting that while Oly proposed a standard lens mount, Kodak and Fuji have Nikon lens mounts. So maybe a defacto standard has already begun. I doubt Canon will enlist though. :-)

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA