Re: [OM] Ideal lens for photographing inside a church?

Subject: Re: [OM] Ideal lens for photographing inside a church?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:46:01 -0800

I haven't used the 800 XTRA much. Results seemed okay. I've never used it indoors and can't vouch for its stability re artificial light--should be pretty good, though. I can vouch for the Fujipress 800 quality. There's been talk that these films are from the same bulk film reels but cut off at different junctions (Fujipress from the center). Anything's possible, I'd guess. Either way, the Fujipress series (including the 1600 stuff) most definitely delivers outstanding results for existing-light work, indoor and out, artificial light or no. It usually is _not_ available "downtown," however--have to order it special from one of the camera houses.

Figuring in probable distance from subject, a fast 35- or 50mm lens sounds about right. A second lens with longer focal length might come in handy if the photographer is comfortable switching bodies--that comes with practice. I, too, would stay away from a zoom, though if I used one I'd take my 35/70 3.6 and be comfortable (more or less) with that lens solely.

Tris

The 50mm f/1.8 is perfectly useable wide open and that's a lot of light!
I'd recommend Fuji 800-XTRA film if you like available light photos and the
baptism is during the daytime.  It will give you "moderate" saturation
rather than "cartoon" saturation as I call it.  In the USA, Fuji 800 XTRA is
available even at Walgreens, Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart!