Re: [OM] Ideal lens for photographing inside a church?

Subject: Re: [OM] Ideal lens for photographing inside a church?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 14:26:30 -0800
There are zooms appropriate for this, but they are out of the stated cost limitation. The 35-80/2.8 and the Tamron Asp 35-105/2.8, which is much cheaper than the Zuiko, but still more than you want to spend. 80/2s are certainly available for $180 or less for the patient and resourceful. Mine was less than $150 and is perfect except for a couple of external marks that have no impact on photography.

Is it possible to observe this ceremony in the same place for another child from a little distance so as to determine what light and shooting distance will be? That would make determination of the correct film and equipment much easier. Could you then visit the font when not in use with a friend/model and do some 'dry' posing/shooting to determine coverage for each focal length and lighting/flash/film requirements? It would then be clear whether the lenses you already have give the coverage you need, what other focal length might be needed and whether there is enough light for fast film or whether flash is needed. Walking in 'blind' seems risky and unnecessary.

Moose

derek fong wrote:

I originally thought that since I already have a 28/2.8, my best bet would be to get a telephoto lens of some sort (I was thinking either 85 or 100mm) to shoot this event. My reasoning for this was so that I could either take some portrait photos (before and after the baptism) or get in close if I end up being too far to get decent shots with my 50/1.8. However, I am now considering getting a 35 or 100 (the 85/2 is, unfortunately, too expensive for me). I think some good arguments have been made to keep me away from buying and using a zoom lens for this particular event (even though it would be a good thing to have as an all-purpose lens later).

Like I said, though, I'm now torn by whether I should get something at the short or long end. I can see the rationales for going either way, but I'm thinking (personally) that maybe something at the telephoto end would be more practical for me after the baptism since I already have the wide and normal end of the spectrum covered. That was part of the reason I was originally considering a zoom lens, but if I won't be able to use my new "toy" for the baptism, then I just can't justify getting a new lens right now...

Any thoughts? My budget is roughly US$180, so I'm thinking I can afford either a 35/2.8 or a 100/2.8 from KEH, but not both. :(