Re: [OM] Ideal lens for photographing inside a church?

Subject: Re: [OM] Ideal lens for photographing inside a church?
From: Roger Skully <robinsnes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 15:52:23 -0500
On 2/8/03 3:02 PM, "derek fong" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I plan to take pictures of my niece's baptism in a few weeks and am
> using that as an excuse to get another Zuiko.  I currently have a
> 28/2.8 and a 50/1.8, but am considering a zoom lens (maybe a
> 35-105/3.5-4.5) because I have no idea how close or how far I will be
> from the "action".  I'd obviously like to be able to get some practical
> use out of the lens after the baptism, and since I don't currently have
> a telephoto lens, I figured a zoom lens was the best way to go (in
> terms of having a good, everyday lens mounted to my OM-2 most of the
> time).  Still, I'm not sure how the lighting will be in this particular
> situation, so I'm a little hesitant about the zoom lens because of some
> of the previous posts I've read about the viewfinder being too dark for
> focusing.  I'm also considering a 35-70/3.5-4.5, although I fear that I
> might not like the shorter zoom range.  Still, it's cheaper and smaller
> than the 35-105.
>
> Can anyone offer some suggestions?  I'm not completely opposed to just
> getting another prime lens, but like I said, I'd prefer to take the
> opportunity to get a good all-purpose lens, which might mean a zoom
> lens of some sort.
>
> -f

Obviously you want to buy a new lens. If it is a Catholic baptism, you can
usuallly get within 10 feet of the action. Ask the priest about flash. If he
says OK, you're really able to fire anything and get good pictures with good
depth of field. I would recommend a 35mm lens...forget fiddling with the
zoom and concentrate on what's happening. You can crop later. 35mm does not
give any wide angle distortion and has good coverage for these affairs. If
you want natural light, use an 800 or 1600 speed film and a lens with an
aperture of at least 2.8 and you should be OK. Pay attention to what you are
shooting rather than the camera and lens...that's my $.02 after 25 years of
this kind of shooting...but I use the equivalent with a Hasselblad and use a
monopod for steadiness. In fact, if I were shooting my OM, I would do the
same. It keeps the camera in the same place after each shot rather than
having to return it to eye level and lose time.
Best wishes:-)
--
Roger Skully
Robins Nest Photography