Re: [OM] Ideal lens for photographing inside a church?

Subject: Re: [OM] Ideal lens for photographing inside a church?
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 02:53:12 -0500
Instead of buying another lens for this assignment, I'd recommend shooting a
test roll under identical conditions.  Read on.

You're thinking you need a "general-purpose" lens but in my opinion, you are
all set already.  For outdoor "travel" photos, the 35-105 is your
"general-purpose" lens.  It may be too slow for available light but you
already have that covered too.

The 50mm f/1.8 is perfectly useable wide open and that's a lot of light!
I'd recommend Fuji 800-XTRA film if you like available light photos and the
baptism is during the daytime.  It will give you "moderate" saturation
rather than "cartoon" saturation as I call it.  In the USA, Fuji 800 XTRA is
available even at Walgreens, Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart!

As a former user of the OM-2 in available light, I can offer two more
insights: 1.) the OM-2 shutter is pretty darned quiet (compared to the 1,
PC, and 4) in situations like a church.  2.) The OM-2 match needle meter is
very hard to use in Manual in available dimness.  I suggest instead that you
use Auto exposure mode, set that nice 50 at 1.8 or 2.8, and use a monopod or
tripod.  If your OM-2 has never been tuned up, it may be wise to overexpose
by 2 full stops.  (If you load up with 800 speed film, set the camera's film
speed at 200.  My old OM2 meter was fine in daylight but (like both OM-PCs),
it underexposed by 2 stops in available light.)  Be sure to reset the EI
when you're finished.

When the pictures come back, you'll hear "Gees, you captured the mood better
than Uncle Harry.  He used flash on all of his!"  I know whereof I speak.  I
loved it when my girlfriend said, "My cousin thanked me for that picture of
the candle-lit table at her birthday party.  She was amazed that you caught
it just the way it looked.  How did you do that without a flash?"  I just
smiled.

If flash is allowed, I don't recommend it anyway.  Remember- window light is
possibly the most beautiful light anyway.  I'd agree with everyone about
using a tripod or monopod.

If you insist on using flash, and you use a shoe-mount flash, consider
shooting only horizontal shots to keep the light source above the lens
rather than casting light in from one side.

Shoot much, edit it down to one photo, & get 10 reprints of the best one.
Make sure the printer gets them perfect.  Then hand the stack of 10 to the
parents.  Everyone they share with gets your best shot.

Lama