Re: [OM] RE: Bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Bokeh
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 17:18:22 -0800
You know, as a returning student I really feel that I'm getting a lot out of school that I never got in my youth. It seems like almost every day I learn something useful and I take care in my work like I never did in my youth. When an honors frat sent me an invitation to join last year it was actually a shock. I guess I knew that I was getting good grades, but somehow it hadn't sunk in that I wasn't still the ne'er-do-well brat who used to sneak by with C's. This time, though, it isn't about appeasing the faculty or my parents. If I do poorly now it's just me proving that I was right to drop out and get a job 20 years ago. It's great to be taking classes with a purpose, too. My instructors are all really supportive. When I started shooting these little Super-8 films last year the head of the film department gave me about 30 rolls of Super-8 that had been sitting around the school since they switched from Super-8 to Mini-DV in their production classes. People are always coming up with adapters and splicing blocks and stuff for me. I get access to gear that nobody else gets to use and it's all because I'm motivated this time out and it makes people want to help me. Going back to school has been about the most positive experience I've ever had.

So yeah, I can see what you're saying, but I think the formal education can be more than just a starting point depending on where you are emotionally and intellectually when you get it.

-Rob